We all know the life-saving lesson to not “drink and drive.” However, despite decades of campaigns against drunk driving, many Floridians still take to the roads knowing they are too intoxicated to operate their vehicle safely. Even with strict DUI laws, the nation saw a 14% rise in drunk driving deaths from 2019 to 2020.
When someone’s careless decision to drink and drive steals your health and happiness, Kogan & DiSalvo have a Florida drunk driving accident lawyer ready to fight for your legal right to compensation.
After a Drunk Driving Accident, Don’t Wait to Contact an Attorney
The clock is ticking. Florida recently brought the statute of limitations for personal injury cases down to 2 years from the accident date instead of 4. To ensure you meet all deadlines and protect your right to compensation, contact a lawyer to investigate your DUI accident in Florida as soon as possible. This will give them enough time to investigate your case, calculate your damages, and pursue maximum compensation.
What Qualifies as Drunk Driving in Florida
Drunk driving is a serious offense in Florida. This is what state law defines as driving under the influence:
- A person must not drive or have physical control of any moving vehicle after consuming alcohol to the point of intoxication.
- Operating a vehicle while under the influence of any drug that impairs driving ability is prohibited.
- It is not permitted for any person to drive with a blood alcohol concentration limit of 0.08 grams at any time within three hours of operating the vehicle.
- A commercial driver’s license (CDL) holder cannot drive a commercial motor vehicle with 0.04 percent or more BAC in their blood, breath, or urine.
In cases of wrongful death due to a drunk driving accident, the deceased’s family can pursue compensation for DUI manslaughter.
Understanding Florida’s Dram Shop Laws
Florida’s Dram Shop Laws hold entities that serve alcohol liable for any injuries caused by a person who was visibly intoxicated when they were served at their establishment.
To receive compensation from Dram Shop liability, DUI accident victims must prove that their injury or losses were caused by an individual who was visibly intoxicated when served. Crucial evidence to support this claim can include surveillance footage, witness statements, medical records, and police reports.
Victims may recover compensation through a Dram Shop claim if their losses are directly related to an individual being served under certain circumstances. However, it is important for victims and families affected by drunk driving accidents to consult with an experienced Florida drunk driving accident attorney to understand their options and pursue maximum compensation.
Take These Steps After a Drunk Driving Accident
The moments after a collision with an intoxicated driver are critical. If you are alert, follow these directives to help both your health and your eventual claim:
- Call 911 and do not leave the scene until they arrive. While you wait, check for any injuries to yourself or damage to your vehicle.
- Photograph the scene as much as you can from all angles. Save the photos for your attorney.
- Exchange information with the other driver and get contact information from any witnesses present. These witnesses could offer testimonies that strengthen your case.
- Even if you believe your injuries are negligible, get checked by a medical professional. There’s a chance your injuries may not be external or immediately visible. Put your safety first and ensure that a doctor thoroughly examines you.
- A drunk driving accident also causes emotional damage. Remember, your mental matters too. Seek any counseling services you may need.
- Contact a Florida personal injury lawyer.
Kogan & DiSalvo Fights for Victims of DUI Accidents in Florida
Kogan & DiSalvo sympathize with the emotional and physical strife that follows an alcohol-impaired driving accident. After recovering millions for innocent drivers and passengers injured by reckless drunk drivers, we know that mounting medical bills, lost wages, physical wounds, and emotional scars take an unfathomable toll on victims and their families.
We also know that financial compensation is essential for victims to recover their lives. When someone else’s irresponsible decision upends your life, you should not have to shoulder the burdens alone. Call us today for a free consultation, and don’t pay a dime unless we win!