West Palm Beach Injury Lawyer
Depending on the type of accident that you have suffered, you may have insurance companies calling you to negotiate a quick settlement, just when you are at your most vulnerable point.
Insurance companies want to pay as little as possible, and once you make an agreement with them, you cannot pursue further compensation. It is important to not agree to any insurance settlement without obtaining legal counsel.
If you are injured through no fault of your own, you need a West Palm Beach personal injury lawyer to represent you and help you receive the compensation you deserve. En Español.
Types of Injuries
Personal injury encompasses a variety of serious accidents and causes. Victims of such accidents may suffer long-term or permanent damage to body and/or mind. They may lose considerable time from work, or are no longer able to hold the type of employment they had before the accident. Common causes of personal injuries include:
- Motor vehicle accidents- Florida is a no-fault motor vehicle insurance state, so only someone experiencing a permanent injury or permanent exacerbation of a previous injury resulting from a motor vehicle accident can file a personal injury claim.
- Slip and fall– accidents occurring because of a property owner’s negligence
- Dog/animal attack or bite
- Product liability– the injury results from a defective product
Injuries occurring at work are covered by workers’ compensation. Laws governing work-related injuries differ from those occurring during non-working hours, but victims should still seek a personal injury attorney in West Palm in these instances.
Personal Injury Damages
The plaintiff in a personal injury case may be awarded several types of damages, depending on the nature and severity of the accident, depending as well on whether the accident was catastrophic and resulted in traumatic brain injuries or burn injuries. Damages permitted in Florida personal injury cases include:
- Medical expenses, both past and future
- Lost wages and loss of future earning capacity
- Pain and suffering – Florida law limits pain and suffering damages in most types of auto accidents unless the injury is permanent. However, there is an exception for motorcycle accident victims, in which case the injury does not necessarily need to cause permanent injury
Plaintiffs may receive punitive damages in certain circumstances. Punitive damages are meant to punish the person responsible for the accident and are generally awarded when the responsible party demonstrated extreme negligence or recklessness.
For motor vehicle accidents, punitive damages may be awarded if the driver responsible for the crash was drunk or driving under the influence of drugs.
How a West Palm Beach Personal Injury Attorney Can Help
Personal injury cases require a great deal of time for evidence collection, witness interviews, review of police reports, medical evaluations and, in the case of motor vehicle accidents, accident reconstructions. An attorney must consider the history of the defendant responsible for the accident.
While such investigations are time-consuming, they offer the best means of proving fault in an accident and receiving proper compensation. While most personal injury cases are settled prior to trial, an aggressive West Palm Beach personal injury lawyer is willing to go to court to protect their client’s rights.