Hiring a personal injury lawyer after a car accident in Florida helps protect your interests. For example, you may face challenges with your insurance company, which could refuse to cover your damages, so you may struggle with recovering fair compensation. Skilled representation can ensure all of the above are taken care of, as well as filing all the necessary paperwork on a timely basis. In addition, if you meet the state’s serious injury threshold, you can go outside the no-fault system in Florida and file a personal injury lawsuit with your attorney.
If you’ve been injured in a car accident due to another party’s negligence, contact us at Kogan & DiSalvo for a free consultation. We could review your case and determine if you have a viable personal injury claim based on the cause of your accident. As a premier law firm in South Florida, we fight for the rights of the injured and work hard to maximize compensation so our clients can rebuild their lives.
Why You Should Hire a Car Accident Attorney
As noted above, a skilled legal team could protect your ability to recover the compensation you need by taking the following steps:
Investigate Your Case
Our team of professionals can begin to investigate your case by:
- Reviewing police reports which often contain factual, objective observations based on what they see at the scene.
- Speaking with eyewitnesses as soon as possible before they move or no longer clearly remember what they saw.
- Visiting the accident scene and, in some cases, hiring experts such as accident reconstructionists to help determine liability.
- Gathering other relevant evidence, such as video or CCTV footage, to help build a strong case in your favor.
- Utilize your medical documents to substantiate your injuries and their impact on your life.
Negotiate With Insurance Companies
Insurance companies often try to offer a low settlement amount, hoping you will accept it because you need the cash. However, an experienced car accident lawyer can thoroughly review your case and provide an estimate of the actual value of your claim–before negotiating with the insurance company.
Representation in Court
Forbes reports that 98% of people surveyed about their compensation said they received it via private settlement. In fact, most cases are settled. However, if the defendant’s insurance company refuses to offer a fair amount, the case will go to court—and at Kogan & DiSalvo, we will be ready.
Florida’s statute of limitations has recently been reduced from four years to two for car crash cases. So it’s crucial to hire a lawyer as soon as possible. Evidence becomes harder to find as time passes. For example, video evidence may be erased, and eyewitnesses might be less willing to testify on your behalf.
How is the Value of Your Case Assessed?
When assessing the amount of compensation to pay out in personal injury cases, a wide range of factors are considered, including the following:
- The severity and cost of your medical treatment which can include the initial visit to the ER, medications, and surgeries.
- Your ongoing healthcare needs can include additional surgeries, rehabilitation, and modifications to your home.
- Lost time at work. It may be months before you are ready to return to work.
- Your injury could impact your ability to earn an income. You may return to work but at a reduced earning capacity.
- Repair or replace your vehicle and other personal property.
- Pain and suffering you endured because of your injuries.
Contact Kogan and DiSalvo for a Free Consultation
You deserve the maximum compensation to get back on your feet and resume your life. While we cannot guarantee results, you can trust we will fight hard using our considerable resources and experience. Our hard-working and dedicated team could help preserve critical evidence and begin the legal process to get your life back on track. Contact us today to schedule a consultation. We work on a contingency basis, so there are no upfront legal fees. We look forward to hearing from you.