If you were injured in a car accident, you may be facing tremendous pain, physical and/or mental incapacity, and anxiety about the future. If your accident was caused by a careless or negligent driver or other party, you have the right to pursue compensation for your losses, including medical bills, wage loss, and pain and suffering. As dark as these days are, there is hope for a better future. By enlisting the services of an experienced Tampa car accident lawyer, you can put yourself in a position for a full financial recovery.
As Florida’s premier personal injury law firm, Kogan & DiSalvo is here to stand by your side through the many legal and financial issues that arise after a serious car accident injury in Tampa, Hillsborough County, or anywhere in Florida.
Common Car Accident Causes
One of the first and most important steps in any car accident claim is to determine the cause of the accident. Sometimes, no one is at fault—only bad weather, perhaps, or bad luck. But in many cases, the root cause of a car accident is careless and negligent behavior.
Some of the most common ways negligence plays a role in car accidents include:
- Drunk driving: Drunk drivers put lives at risk every time they get behind the wheel. In a drunk driving case, victims may be awarded punitive damages that can substantially increase the total monetary award.
- Distracted driving: Safe drivers keep their eyes and full attention on the road. Behaviors such as texting while driving or operating a cell phone in any capacity cause dangerous distractions that cost innocent drivers, passengers, and pedestrians their lives.
- Speeding and reckless driving: We call upon experts in accident reconstruction to examine skid marks, vehicle damage, and other evidence that can tell if a driver was violating the rules of the road at the time of an accident.
- Faulty vehicles: Negligent drivers are not the only parties who create dangers on Tampa roads. If a motor vehicle company designed faulty vehicles or failed to thoroughly test them for safety, dangerous cars with faulty brakes, steering, and other critical systems may be present on our roads.
- Road defects: From potholes to unmarked intersections and deficient signage, in some cases, the authorities responsible for road construction and maintenance may be responsible for accidents on Florida roads.
Determining the cause of traffic accidents in Hillsborough County can be difficult, which is one reason it is so important to have an experienced Tampa personal injury attorney on your side.
Why Is it Important to Hire a Car Accident Lawyer?
Even in this DIY world, there are some things that simply require the attention of a professional. This is especially true for car accident litigation.
An experienced car accident attorney in Hillsborough County knows how to make at-fault drivers (and insurance companies) pay for their negligence. A seasoned attorney can:
- Fully investigate the circumstances of your accident, finding important facts and evidence that may otherwise go unnoticed.
- Calculate maximum damages, so that all of your hardships, past and future, are accounted for in the dollar amount of your settlement or jury award.
- Aggressively represent your interests at the negotiating table or, if necessary, at trial.
At Kogan & DiSalvo, your initial legal consultation is free. In fact, you won’t owe us anything unless we obtain compensation for you, at which point our fee is taken out of your settlement or award.
Compensation In a Car Accident Lawsuit
After a motor vehicle accident, you are likely wondering how much compensation you may be entitled to. While we cannot give you an estimate without carefully analyzing the details of your accident and medical outcomes, we can provide you with general information about damages that may be awarded in a car accident case.
- Economic damages: The financial turmoil you experience after a car accident can be extensive. Economic damages are intended to reimburse you for the expenses you have incurred and will continue to incur due to the negligence of another driver or other party. These include but are not limited to: medical bills, lost wages, home health care, adaptive equipment, transportation to and from your doctor’s office, and the cost of household services you are no longer able to perform yourself.
- Non-economic damages: Of course, the hardships you face after a car accident may run deeper than economic losses. You may experience significant pain and suffering, mental anguish, disfigurement, and loss of enjoyment of your life. The law allows you to seek fair compensation for these losses and more.
- Punitive damages: While somewhat rare in personal injury cases, these damages are available in cases in which the at-fault party acted with malevolence or extreme recklessness.
Because the damages you obtain are closely based on your quality of life, it is important to work with an attorney who takes the time to get to know you and all the ways in which this accident has affected you.
Personal Service Makes a Difference
We believe that car accident litigation is about more than numbers and legal files. We are committed to giving our clients a positive experience during what is otherwise a disturbing period in their lives. The last thing you want after being injured on the road is to receive cold, impersonal service from the law firm that is representing your rights.
Our attorneys and legal team will make you feel at home as we guide you through this complex and difficult time.
Discouraged by a Lowball Offer?
If you are convinced the insurance company will not move from a lowball offer, you may be in a better position than you think. Our Tampa car accident attorneys have the legal knowledge and experience to calculate the true value of your claim, and the skill to negotiate for the maximum dollar amount.
If the insurance company refuses to offer a reasonable settlement, we are always prepared to represent you in court.
Car Accident Attorney in Hillsborough County
The thought of lawsuits and court dates may be overwhelming when you’re trying to recover from a life-changing car accident. You can relieve yourself of these burdens by leaving all of the legal details, investigations, and negotiations to our experienced Tampa car accident attorneys.
To arrange a free case evaluation from a member of our legal team, contact us today.