If you are injured in an Uber accident here in Vero Beach, you may be able to recover financial compensation via filing a motor vehicle crash lawsuit. However, determining which party or parties may be liable for your injuries and how to win your lawsuit can be complex. That’s why we highly recommend that you book a free consultation with an experienced Uber accident lawyer from Kogan & DiSalvo as soon as possible.
There are a number of possible legal options you may have following an Uber accident, and which one fits your case largely depends on the specific facts surrounding your crash.
Depending on what happened in your accident and who caused it, you may be able to pursue financial compensation for your injuries from Uber itself, the Uber driver, or the driver of another vehicle. An experienced attorney can help you identify which parties to hold liable.
Here are three common types of accidents involving Uber vehicles:
- You were the passenger of an Uber vehicle that was involved in a crash
- You were an occupant of a vehicle that was hit by an Uber vehicle
- You were a pedestrian or bicyclist that was hit by an Uber driver
If you are involved in an Uber or Lyft accident, having the right attorney on your side could make the difference when it comes to obtaining fair compensation for your injuries.
While your lawyer’s skill, experience, and resources certainly play a crucial role in the ultimate outcome of your case, there are several things that you can do yourself in the immediate aftermath of a rideshare accident in order to maximize the amount of your financial recovery:
- Call the police, ensure that an accident report is filed, and obtain a copy of the report.
- Make sure you obtain the Uber driver’s vehicle and personal information.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible, even if you are not currently experiencing any pain or discomfort. Some serious injuries may not surface until your adrenaline subsides later that day, and others may not surface until several days later. The longer you wait between your accident and seeking medical attention, the more opportunity you provide to the defendant to poke holes in your claim, which may significantly reduce the amount of your financial recovery.
- Document the contact information of everyone who witnessed the accident.
- Take pictures or videos of evidence that may help your case, which might include your injuries, damage to vehicles involved in the crash, additional property damage, the scene of the collision, and any relevant weather, road, or traffic conditions that were present at the time of the accident.
- Contact an experienced rideshare accident lawyer and schedule a consultation as soon as possible.
- Refrain from posting anything online that pertains to your accident, your injuries, the driver who caused the crash, or your pending lawsuit. Also make sure that no pictures or videos are posted that may call into question the severity of your injuries.
- Particularly when serious injuries are alleged, insurance companies are notorious for engaging a private investigator to follow the plaintiff around with the intent of observing behavior that may undermine the plaintiff’s credibility. In other words, if you claim that you cannot walk due to a serious back injury suffered in an accident, but the private investigator takes a video of you jogging every morning in Indian River County, that would significantly impact the value of your claim. While your lawsuit is still pending, assume at all times that you are being followed.
If you were injured in an Uber accident, you should know what coverage amounts are required of Uber under Florida law.
If your accident occurred while the Uber driver was logged into the Uber app and had a passenger in the car, then the Uber driver is required to carry $1 Million in liability coverage. If the Uber driver is logged into the app but is not transporting any passengers, then he or she is required to carry $100,000 of coverage for bodily injury and another $25,000 for property damage.
If the driver is not logged into the app when the accident occurs, then Uber’s policy does not apply, so you would likely have to seek recovery under the Uber driver’s personal policy.
Your Choice of Uber Accident Attorney Matters
Uber accidents are often highly complex, as Uber is notorious for doing everything possible to deny a victim’s claim. Hiring the right car accident lawyer in Vero Beach can make all the difference in your quest to achieve justice and maximum financial compensation.
At Kogan & DiSalvo, we give each case the individualized attention that it deserves, because we know that taking a one-size-fits-all approach will not yield the successful outcome our clients seek. Call today to schedule a cost-free case review and learn how we can help you and your family move forward. Nothing will come out of your pocket unless you win your case.