How Auto Accidents May Occur
Palm Beach County, Florida has many dangerous and deadly intersections. In fact, two of the top five most dangerous intersections in Palm Beach County are located in Boynton Beach (Boynton Beach Blvd. & Congress Ave. and Gateway Blvd. & Congress Ave.)
Many factors can contribute to automobile accidents, including: hazardous road conditions, distracted drivers, impaired drivers, speeding and reckless driving. On high traffic volume roadways/intersections, any one of these or other factors can be a recipe for a life-changing car accident.
In addition, it’s important to remember that seat-belts save lives. It’s not simply an ad campaign, it’s a fact. Approximately 15% of motor vehicle occupants refuse to wear seat belts. Unfortunately, those who refuse to wear seat belts account for more than half of the motor vehicle fatalities.
Not only is it unsafe to drive without wearing a seat belt, it is against the law. In Florida, drivers must wear seat belts and are responsible for ensuring that passengers under the age of 18 wear seat belts or the age/weight-appropriate child restraint devices. In a 30 mph auto accident, an unbuckled child is hit with a force equivalent to falling from a third-story window.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
Some of the most common causes of car accidents across the nation that may warrant contact with a Boynton Beach car accident attorney include:
- Driving under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol
- Cell phone use or use of other electronic devices
- Distracted driving
- Reckless driving
- Drowsy or fatigued driving
- Defective vehicle or faulty vehicle parts
- Defectively designed or engineered roadways
While things like wet roads, severe storms or construction areas are out of your hands, the causes of accidents listed above all share one thing in common: They are preventable. When another driver is careless or chooses to engage in dangerous driving behavior such as distracted driving, then a car accident can easily result.
Negligence, or carelessness, is often the cause of accidents leading to injury. Texting when you should have your eyes and mind on the road is an example of motorist negligence. If negligence is the root cause of the accident, then our aggressive attorneys may be able to pursue injury compensation on your behalf, beyond what your PIP coverage pays.
In Florida, drivers are required to carry Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage. This insurance coverage is designed to pay for a portion of your medical expenses regardless of who caused the accident. But if your accident is serious, you will probably have a lot more in medical expenses than PIP covers. Why should you have to pay for these expenses while the person who caused the accident is not held accountable?
Our car accident attorneys in Boynton Beach have extensive experience holding negligent drivers accountable. We work swiftly and aggressively to protect your interests while doing everything we can to help you heal. Chaos tends to result in the aftermath of an accident, and our attorneys take an individualized approach to your case to help you get back on your feet. We’ll help you find the medical care you need for your injury, and make sure you have the resources you need to focus on getting better while we handle your accident claim.
Steps to Take After An Accident
Immediately following a car accident can be a stressful time. Feel free to print this page and keep it in your glove box or middle console as a reference as to what you, or a loved one, should do after an accident.
- Remain calm. Do not jump hastily out of your vehicle. Look around and be aware of any oncoming traffic.
- Check yourself, and others in the vehicle, for injuries. If you or a passenger is severely injured, immediately call 911. If there are mild or no injuries, call your local police.
- Do not speak to others about what happened. Talk only to police. If you’re able, draw a sketch of the scene. Make notes of all details you can remember while you wait for police, such as lighting, road conditions, estimated speed of vehicles involved, hazards on the road, etc. Did a tire or seat belt fail? (Tip: Keep a disposable camera in your car to take pictures of the accident.)
- Insist on a police report. A police report can be extremely helpful if you develop pain or injuries later.
- Once police have finished and the necessary medical help has been obtained, contact the car accident attorneys at Kogan & DiSalvo. You may need legal representation to help pursue an insurance claim. We are experienced in dealing with insurance companies for compensation.
- Even if your injuries seem minor, seek medical treatment. Have a doctor determine the extent of your injuries and if there is any possibility of having an ongoing problem. Make and keep copies of your medical records.
Additional tips: Always keep your car insurance up-to-date and always carry uninsured motorist protection.
Importance of Legal Representation
Auto accidents involving two or more vehicles can result in many injuries, ranging from muscle strains and sprains, whiplash, herniated discs to lacerations, head trauma/brain injury, paralysis, lost limbs or amputations, burns and even wrongful death. Sometimes, your injuries are not apparent until after the car accident. However, any injury can have long-term ramifications and can cause stressful disruption in one’s life making it important that a Boynton Beach car accident lawyer is contacted.
Our accident lawyers can help you with all aspects of your claim, including:
- Negotiating with powerful insurance companies
- Negotiating with insurance companies when you are hit by an uninsured or underinsured driver
- Filing a claim against the at-fault driver
- Assisting in gathering evidence to prove fault in your case
- Tracking down witnesses
- Utilizing accident reconstruction experts
- Working to prove the extent and impact of your injuries on your life
- Fighting to arrive at a fair and equitable settlement for your injuries
- Aggressively representing you in a personal injury trial, if necessary
Contacting An Auto Accident Attorney
Verdicts and settlements can never be guaranteed, however, we CAN guarantee that the Boynton Beach car accident attorneys at Kogan & DiSalvo will work diligently to protect your interests, provide help and relief and work to secure a fair settlement/verdict to compensate you for your injury.
If you have been injured or lost a loved in an auto accident, call us today for a free and confidential case evaluation. You can also fill out the contact form on this page to send us an email.