You experienced a nightmare scenario; you were injured in an Uber accident. Now you’re wondering…
- Who is liable?
- Can you sue Uber directly?
- Can you secure the money you need to pay off your medical bills?
- How long will it take to get your life back?
Uber accidents come with unique consequences and complexities. When you need help navigating the legal matrix after an Uber accident, a Kogan & DiSalvo rideshare accident lawyer can help you pursue compensation for your injuries.
The short answer is: yes.
If you were injured due to a negligent ride share driver, you could receive a Uber accident settlement from the company.
Regarding rideshare companies like Uber and Lyft, drivers and the companies themselves are responsible for their passengers’ safety. This means that if a driver failed to exercise reasonable caution behind the wheel and caused an accident as a result, then both the driver and their employer would be liable for any resulting injuries.
It’s important to note that liability can vary depending on where the accident occurred. In some states, including Florida, there are specific laws governing rideshare companies such as Uber and Lyft that determine who is responsible for covering damages after an accident.
Uber has insurance, so their customers don’t need to worry about filing claims against individual drivers whose names they may not even know or have access to.
However, if you were injured due to someone else’s negligence while riding in an Uber or Lyft vehicle—whether it was another motorist or the Uber driver—then you may be able to pursue legal action against them as well.
In Florida, all drivers working for Uber or Lyft must carry $1 million worth of commercial auto insurance coverage per incident—this coverage applies anytime the driver has accepted a trip request but has not yet completed it.
After completing a trip request (or if no trip was accepted), drivers have $50 thousand worth of coverage per person/incident, up to $100 thousand total per incident. If multiple passengers were injured during an accident with one of these drivers, then this coverage could potentially provide compensation to each rider individually up to $100 thousand total split across all riders involved in the crash.
Uber and/or Lyft provides this insurance, but only it covers damages caused by their drivers while they are logged into their app. It does not cover any damage or injuries that occur before or after they are logged into their app or while they are off-duty.
Who is liable and how much you can receive varies depending on these factors:
- Off-Duty Uber Drivers: The Uber driver’s commercial driver insurance policy pays.
- On-Duty Uber Drivers Not Logged Into App: The Uber driver is responsible for coverage.
- Logged-In, Waiting Uber Drivers: The driver pays, but Uber pays $50K per person and $100K per accident.
- Ride-Requested Uber Drivers: Uber’s million-dollar insurance policy becomes effective.
- Ask for your driver’s personal insurance information and their Uber insurance information.
- Document everything; take as many photographs as possible of the scene, the vehicle damage, and your injuries.
- Contact the police to file an accident report and request a copy.
- Seek medical attention for suspected or known injuries immediately.
- Contact a Boynton Beach Uber accident lawyer for a case evaluation to understand your legal options.
Generally, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Florida is two years. However, claims backed by timely evidence organized in the immediate aftermath of an accident may have more success.
After an Uber accident in Boynton Beach, FL, choosing a law firm with a track record of maximizing compensation for rideshare accident victims is crucial.
At Kogan & DiSalvo, we know how to navigate the legal matrix of rideshare liability and insurance coverage in Florida. We can investigate every detail of your case to pursue the compensation you are entitled to.
Our team will look into any negligent parties who may be liable for your injuries, including the driver or rideshare company. We will also review all available evidence, such as police reports and witness statements, to build a strong case on your behalf.
When you reach out to us for help, we take that seriously. Our attorneys always act in our client’s best interest and explore all avenues toward compensation following an Uber accident.
There’s a way out of this mess, and it starts with a call to Kogan & DiSalvo. Request a consultation from a Boynton Beach car accident lawyer today.