Given that bicycles do not provide as much protection for riders as cars do for a driver, a bike crash could result in a wide array of injuries for bikers. Bicycle accident injuries may have a significant short term and long-term impact on a person. Therefore, it may be necessary for injured individuals to seek the services of a seasoned lawyer. The accomplished bicycle accident lawyers at Kogan & DiSalvo could help a person build an injury claim and pursue compensation for medical suffering, lost wages, and other losses.
Common Types of Bicycle Accident Injuries
By virtue of a bicyclist being vulnerable and exposed and not having the protection of a motor vehicle, individuals who were involved in a bicycle wreck in Boca Raton are typically far more susceptible to catastrophic injuries. A bicyclist does not have a safety belt, airbags, crumple zones, or a number of other safety features that cars may have. Common Boca Raton bicycle accident injuries include:
- Head injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
Broken bones may occur as the result of the impact with a motor vehicle, or from impact with the ground or another fixed or stationary object following a bicycle accident from. Broken bones could perforate the internal organs, arteries, or veins, and might cause potentially fatal bleeding. All of these injuries might require surgery, long term hospital stays, post-hospital rehabilitation stays, extensive time off from work, and extraordinary medical expenses.
Risk of a Traumatic Brain Injury Following a Bike Wreck
While there is no legal definition for a traumatic brain injury, it is medically defined as a brain dysfunction caused by an outside force, usually a violent blow to the head. TBIs may easily result from a bicycle accident, notably if a driver is not wearing a helmet. As an attorney could explain, a person may be at a greater risk to develop TBI if they were not wearing a helmet. It should be noted that wearing a helmet is not a guaranteed preventative method for TBIs. After a bicycle accident, a person should watch out for symptoms that may develop over days and weeks after the accident if they hit their head, even if they do not think they have a TBI. These symptoms may include:
- Cognitive: amnesia, inability to speak or understand, mental confusion, difficulty concentrating, difficulty thinking and understanding, inability to create new memories, or inability to recognize common things
- Behavioral: abnormal laughing and crying, aggression, impulsivity, irritability, lack of restraint, or persistent repetition of words or actions
- Whole body: balance disorder, blackout, dizziness, fainting, or fatigue
- Mood: anger, anxiety, apathy, or loneliness
- Eyes: dilated pupil, raccoon eyes, or unequal pupils
- Gastrointestinal: nausea or vomiting
- Sensory: sensitivity to light or sensitivity to sound
- Speech: slurred speech or impaired voice
- Also common: persistent headache, a temporary moment of clarity, bleeding, blurred vision, bone fracture, bruising, depression, loss of smell, nerve injury, post-traumatic seizure, ringing in the ears, or stiff muscles
Call an Attorney to Learn More About Bicycle Accident Injuries in Boca Raton
Those who have suffered bicycle accident injuries after an accident may benefit greatly from speaking with our well-versed Boca Raton personal injury attorneys immediately. No matter what damages a person has incurred after their bike wreck, our seasoned lawyers could review their case and explain their legal options. Let our attorneys from Kogan & DiSalvo champion your injury claim.