Someone has just crashed into the back of your car. Do you know what to do? When a car accident happens it is sudden and effects all parties involved. The injuries can be severe and emotions will run high. Even with the sudden surge of emotions, there are important steps that need to be taken in order to ensure your safety and protection of your legal rights.
First Steps to Take
- Call the police and seek medical attention if needed
- If you are unable to get out of the car, stay where you are and wait for the paramedics
- Do not leave the scene of the accident and only move your vehicle if it is necessary for safety or required by the law
- Record all the details of the accident, including location, license plate and VIN number of all the vehicles involved, and the drivers’ names, addresses, phone numbers, and insurance information
- If possible, draw up a sketch of what happened and take pictures
- Make sure an accurate police report is filed and write down the names and badge numbers of the police involved
- Interview witnesses and write down their names, addresses, and phone numbers
No matter who was at fault, never offer any information other than your contact information, and vehicle and insurance information at the scene of the accident, as it can possibly be held against you. Fault is not always a determination of which insurance company will pay for damages.
After the accident, you should take steps to ensure that your rights will be protected and you recover any damages you are entitled to resulting from the accident.
Next Steps to Take
- Call an experienced accident attorney to handle the insurance companies, police report, medical records, vehicle repairs, and possible lawsuit to recover damages for lost income, property damage, and pain and suffering
- Contact your insurance company to notify them of the accident and speak truthfully on the details of the accident
- Do not wait too long to file a claim – there may be a Statute of Limitations for your accident injury case
- Keep track of all doctors visits and treatments you receive from each medical provider, as well as who referred you to another medical professional
- Do not talk with anyone about your accident other than your attorney, your insurance company, and the police – if a representative from another insurance company contacts you simply get all of their contact information and tell your attorney about the incident
- Be sure to seek medical treatment for all injuries sustained from the accident, even those that arise days, weeks, or even months after the date of the accident
- Never settle a claim without speaking with your attorney to ensure you receive full compensation for your injuries and damages
Importance of Legal Representation
Being in an accident can be devastating, but it does not have to hinder your life forever. It is important to understand your rights in an auto accident and a skilled Boynton Beach car accident attorney can help to explain what you need to know and get your life back on track. The personal injury attorneys of Kogan & DiSalvo are highly experienced in representing those injured in car and truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, and all moving vehicle accidents. Consultations are free and with no obligation.